Big Eyes, Small Mouth
Big Eyes, Small Mouth is a generic system created by the now-defunct Guardians of Order that seeks to emulate the many styles found in Japanese anime and manga. Using the simple Tri-Stat system and point-based character creation that allows for almost any option imaginable, it can simulate many different styles of game. This section uses the 2nd edition rules, which was the last published edition from Guardians of Order. (White Wolf would later publish a 3rd edition, but it never received any support.)
Unlike many other RPGs, Big Eyes, Small Mouth doesn’t have a default setting. As such, this area is a grab bag of different genres and campaign styles that you can pick and choose from to help create your own unique game.
- Sir Gutain’s Academy for the Alternatively Talented: A mini-setting by Nick Culver that can be plugged into any fantasy campaign or be used as the basis of one itself. The academy’s current graduating class includes:
- Cello Leafstep: An elf who has grown bitter as the years wore down on her.
- Dantares Manfred: A brave but slightly slow centaur knight.
- Flynt Steele: The greatest thief of all time!
- Huul Noonglade: An elven noble who has more going on than it appears.
- Julius: A student who wouldn’t be able to speak about his past even if he knew it.
- Kintaro Murasame: An adventurer with an uncommon level of prudence.
- Leena Moorchild: A witty swordswoman who plays on others’ sympathies for an advantage.
- Melody Felino: A shy put gifted summoner.
- Weston Tarmel: Nothing like true love to crush one’s optimistic world view.
- Rules Alterations: Some house rules from Nick Culver.
- Totoro: Stats for the King of the Forest from Miyazaki’s classic.